Hi, I’m Renee Allemand Simpson, owner and creative director at Melismatic Designs LLC.
There’s no doubt there are differences between how businesses communicate with their customers and government entities communicate with their constituents. But the principles are the same. Draw a reader in. Provide value. Prioritize the most important information. Leave room for creativity. Never forget your call to action.
I’m a Louisiana native living in the River Parishes – that area between New Orleans and Baton Rouge known for delicious food, agriculture and industry. It’s a place full of tight-knit families and a truly unique culture.
I believe coming from a small town provides a great perspective on the intricacies of human communication. Even before I decided to formally study journalism, I learned the importance of communicating short; of saying what you mean; of not mincing words but being able to use their charm and persuasiveness when necessary.
In school, my interests varied; from taking voice lessons; to studying visual art and writing; to learning about computer science. All of those experiences inform the work I do today. (I like to categorize it as equal parts right and left brain.)
After college, I spent some time working at a daily newspaper in a mid-sized city. There I honed graphic design and writing skills while working with local businesses. (I also learned how to abide by those pesky deadlines!)
I moved on to become the Public Information Officer (PIO) for my home parish (county) of St. Charles.
This job is also the reason I found myself reporting on a drainage project, with culverts being installed – you guessed it – underneath a train track in the middle of a sugar cane field!
My team and I were honored with multiple awards from the National Association of County Information Officers. The parish website was given an ‘A’ rating for transparency. Government social media channels were established and consistently updated. The government access cable channel was filled with original local programming.
And at the heart of everything we did were the needs of the residents – whether providing life-saving information during a hurricane threat; or directing live coverage of a parish council meeting.
After 8 years of working in government, I decided to fulfill a lifelong dream of opening my own business. Today Melismatic Designs LLC is focused on helping businesses and organizations achieve their goals in communications, marketing, public relations and more.
I would love to put my skills and experience to work for you! Thanks to the great invention that is the internet, I’m available to work with clients all over the state, country and world.
To get started, contact me and tell me what you’re looking for. I’d be happy to work with you to create a customized plan.
MEET RENEE: FUN FACTS
- My career goal growing up was to become a famous singer. This lead me to perform Mariah Carey’s “Vision of Love” at my 6th-grade talent show. Nowadays I just live vicariously through Kelly Clarkson, who I was lucky enough to meet in 2012.
- My husband and I are pet parents to Daisy, Vinny, Ladybug and Tony (all terrier mix mutts), as well as aloof (but oh-so-cute) bunnies Reggie and Kizzy.
- I graduated from Southeastern Louisiana University with a major in mass communication and a minor in digital design. I competed in and won first place in a regional collegiate copy editing competition. NERD ALERT!
- We always believed my family ancestry was Cajun French and German… that is, until my dad did some genealogical research. Come to find out, I can also trace my lineage to Canary Islander immigrants to Louisiana in the 1700s.
- I dig social media, video editing, writing and so much more. But my true passion lies in print design. One of my favorite things is figuring out page layouts – it’s just as satisfying as figuring out a puzzle. Give me some content and a page size, and I can make it work!